Thursday, August 02, 2007

Financial Full Circle

They've recently opened a Wachovia Bank by my house here in Austin. Having grown up in NC (where Wachovia started) Im always reminded of home when I drive by it. My first checking account was at Wachovia. I remember going down to the "big" branch downtown and opening it the summer before I left for school. I guess the bank and my dad didn't do a great job of explaining how checking accounts actually work; I thought that if you had checks in your checkbook then you had money in your account to cover them. I wrote checks all day long, and my dad would be called to the bank to deposit more money into the account to cover them. Needless to say, Wachovia itself held an interesting stake in my father and I's relationship for many years.

I've been through many banking iterations since leaving Wachovia in 1997. NationsBank, Bank of America, Compass, Digital Federal Credit Union...and Monday I decided to go back to where it all started and moved everything back to Wachovia. When my check card arrived in the mail today it was kinda like a classy letter from home...Welcoming me back to the south as I know it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, that's exactly why I use Wachovia, too!

the doc said...

Wierd. I just closed the Wachovia checking account from which I transferred those funds many years ago. Nice to know it's not needed any more.