Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Aging Up


2 things happened to me this past weekend that abruptly reminded me of my age.



  1. CR literally drug me out to a party on Saturday night. He didn’t tell me until the very last minute that it was an 80’s party and the median age there would be, well, um…23. I’m still hoping that the sprinkled cupcakes, balloons and cheap liquor in plastic bottles were all part of the kitch. The music was spot on, we lip synced Pat Benetar, watched Blair’s retarded cousin visit the facts of life girls and had periodic deep discussions with the ’kids’ about all things 80’s. One dapper young man in particular mentioned that he was born in 1987 and he had to do some online research on the 80’s to figure out how to dress appropriately. At that very moment I snatched the drink out of CR’s hand and we promptly left the party. Dignity partially in tact.

  2. I watched the train wreck that was the MTV video Music Awards. Britney’s lackluster performance helped set the stage for the rest of the pathetic show. I officially realized on Sunday that I have outgrown MTV and that’s a pretty big deal. I didn’t get the jokes (or they just weren’t funny), I didn’t get the ‘presenters’, evidently Rap and R&B have officially taken over popular music as we know it, and the production value sent my ADD into overdrive.

I guess I can’t hang in “The Hills” anymore, or “Next” any more bad dates…But I can and will continue to blast Pat Benetar songs and have Flashdance shower moments….I’ve been a fan since the beginning and that’s something this sad new generation can’t claim.


“We are young, heartache to heartache we stand, No promises no demands….”

1 comment:

Pookie Pie said...

For me it was when I realized the 22 y/o I've been hanging around was only 4 years old when I met one of my best friends... in high school.