Wednesday, April 04, 2007

My Social Unconsciousness

I know it's no secret to anyone who knows anything about Austin, this town is full of environmentalists, conservationists, vegans, vegetarians, hemp lovers, pot smokers, tye-dye wearin, granola-lovin people. Im the only neighbor on the block who doesnt "compost" or faithfully put out my recycling bucket every Wednesday. I drive a German car with a big ass gas tank and I leave lights on all the time. Im a bad person who's killing our earth one paper-towel at a time.

When I came home today this note was stuck to my door. It's advertising a "gasoline free" lawn service. I was intrigued, so I called these guys. Sure enough they are "gasoline free"...what they don't mention on their flyer is that their prices are almost double the cost of any other reputable lawn service in town. You would think that not having to use gasoline would actually decrease the cost of the service. Evidently not. I guess it's like buying the organic produce at Whole foods..less pesticides should equal less cost. Not whatsoever!

The 'environmental/global' movement needs to regroup and rethink their pricing strategies. Wal-Mart has recently figured it out and has started opening healthy, good-earth, environmentally-conscious grocery stores similar to Whole Foods. In typical Wal Mart Fashion, their costs are 1/3. So i guess all the socially-aware millionaires running Whole Foods better take notice or they may have to sell off a few of their hybrid cards to help pay down the mortgage on their 'green' McMansions.

No comments: