Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Costa Rica Remembered

It was exactly one year ago Today that I left for Costa Rica. I enjoyed a full circle moment last night as I hosted the divas from Dallas, Kerri Butler and her fabulous friend Megan, at my house. Kerri actually recruited me for the position in CR and it was her dynamo personality that enticed me to push all the forward through the process. I worked under her husband Scott and I’m really glad we all got to experience the ups and downs of Costa Rica together. Being the only Americans in the crowd we often leaned on each other for a much needed sense of normalcy.

We ate at Sandra Bullock’s new(ish) restaurant here in town, Bess Bistro. It wasn’t noteworthy, but certainly a decent meal. We shared stories of Costa Rica and got each other caught up with our present lives and probably shocked neighboring tables with our wine-enhanced topics of conversation. Thinking about Costa Rica, Kerri made an observation that she and her husband both felt like our departure form CR was premature and that they found themselves actually missing it sometimes. I definitely feel the same way. While living there had its (many) challenges, looking back on it, I realize what a unique and valuable learning experience it all was. I could have stood another 6-12 months of it.

I often think of Francisco and how I must have turned his life upside down. He experienced a whole new level of living through me and it left him just as fast as it came. I still hear from him periodically and he reiterates how much he misses “us”. I know that even if the adjustment period has been hard for him, I left him much better off than I found him.

I miss the little things. Grocery clerks fighting over me when I walk in the door because I tipped them 1 dollar. Not having to fill my own car up, the view across the Santa Ana Valley from my living room windows, Loreana washing and ironing my sheets EVERY other day, the beautiful beaches, rainforests and most importantly I miss the people I got to know there. In their own ways they left an imprint on me that I still carry to this day.

As my life in the states continues to change and move on, I know that the Costa Rica I experienced will always retain a special charm that I hope to revisit and relive again very soon.

1 comment:

Kerri Butler said...

I love this post! Thanks for the talks and the company, they were both wonderful! - XOXO, Kerri