Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Southern By the Grace of God

I�ve spent the last 5 days with my Family in my hometown in the deep south. Everytime I come home I feel more and more disconnected from the traditions of southern culture. While many people may look down on southerners due to their set (often antiquated) ways, I must admit, I do appreciate the sense of style and grace that my people wear on their sleeves. Don�t let NC�s motto fool you (The Old North State), North Carolina is chocked full of southern charm and culture, there�s nothing �Northern� about it.


I put together my version of the Southern ABC�s in case I ever need a little reminder:

Azaleas
Bowl Weevils
Cheerwine
Debutantes
Egg Salad
Fat Back
Giblets
Hurricanes
I.O.U�s
Jogglin Boards
Kin
Low Country
Magnolias
Northern aggression
Outer Banks
Pig Pickin's
Quilts
Roaches
Sleeping Porches
Tomato Aspic
Uncle Tom�s Cabin
Virginia Dare
White gloves
Xxtra sweet tea
Yes Maam
Zinnias

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uhm, If I'm correct that photo is from Oak Alley in LA and not in NC. I do love the south, except when a person from Georgia pegged me for a Yankee and then named that state. I guess my Boston Accent got them, but I have losted it, except when drinking.