Monday, December 04, 2006

Looks Familiar

After lugging 4 huge suitcases in a cab, landing in a snow in Dallas and experiencing a wind shear that almost took the plane down on approach, I finally made it back to Austin in one piece. I am glad that I will not ever have to endure another conversationless first class flight to/from Costa Rica again. Those flights seems to attract very tight lipped Expats who look at you like your crazy when you ask them anything about themselves. I should probably get caught up on the US Most Wanted list so I can cash in on Oprah�s 10K catch-a-criminal giveaway. Im positive I have shared seat space with at least 5 of them.

I�ve just started to acclimate to my life back in the US. I noticed last night that I didn�t �shake out� my bedding for the first time since leaving Costa Rica. The insect quotient here in the capital of Texas isn�t nearly as life threatening. I went to the grocery store and enjoyed browsing thousands of products rather than a select few with quickly approaching expiration dates. I enjoyed a true piece of Steak that didn�t relegate me to the bathroom for 3+ days. I had a halleluiah moment in Target, bought some sneakers for under 100 bucks and kicked back in my Starbucks addiction once again. It didn�t take much for me to realize how spoiled we are here in the US. The civil road behavior alone is enough to convert any Tico to the American way of life.

I�m quickly reassembling my life back together. I bought a big boy car on Saturday so now I can pull up in my office in style. Stratocade hosted another famous Sunday Brunch so I got to reconnect with my local peeps. I�ve got an appointment to check out some houses this afternoon. So hopefully soon I can retire my houseguest status. Everything seems to be going smoothly.

I�ve already started working, so I haven�t missed a beat. I�m kinda proud of myself for dealing with the inevitable, pulling it all together and executing a big transition while avoiding a major disaster. Snaps for Jason.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should sit in coach the people are more friendly. What of fact this noisy person on his trip up to NYC noticed a person reading a draft brief regarding a particular religious issue and sure enough it was on the front page of Washington Post today. I would never do that on a plane for confidentiality reasons until the document is filed and public.

Good luck in finding a house. You still have those flying coach roaches down there. That is one thing I don't miss about Texas.

Anonymous said...

I was tired writing that comment. "Matter of fact.." and flying cockroach formed coach.

Anonymous said...

Snaps indeed. Welcome home. I'm off to Vegas tomorrow - but I expect some quality frozen marg time and goss when I get back.

Pookie Pie said...

Sorry I missed the Welcome Back Sunday Brunch. I'll make it to the next one.

Pookie Pie said...

Sorry I missed the Welcome Back Sunday Brunch. I'll make it to the next one.