Thursday, May 11, 2006

Computer Say's.......

God I love technology. A technophile friend of mine sent me a link to Pandora. It’s music recognition technology that allows users to type in artists and/or songs they like and the software compares the melody, harmony and rhythm, instrumentation, orchestration, arrangement, lyrics, and vocal harmony to millions of other songs cataloged in their system. It then builds a personalized ‘radio station’ that only plays songs that you will like based on the “music genome” of your favorite artists or songs. Best part, you don’t have to download anything to play with it.

Try it out:
www.pandora.com

This all plays into my theory that the interactive universe will continue to evolve as a uber-personal experience. Everything we do and see will be personalized. Smart search engines will start suggesting and displaying user-specific content (like TIVO); All media we encounter online will be mapped to our personal preferences; and news and content will be of specific interest based on an understood personal user profile that’s developed over time. A lot of this is already in place.

It’s a conspiracy theorists worst nightmare, but to the rest of us, it only eases the process. One day we won’t have to get up off our couch to effectively function in this world.

3 comments:

the doc said...

Went to Pandora.com and set up two stations already on my desktop. Now, if I could only get them to play while I'm surfing the web or blogging it would be perfect.

I can use Pandora on my laptop, take it into the den, hook it up to my stereo with speakers all over the house and have internet music I want wherever I want. What will they think of next?

Eye Que said...

Click the "minimize" link and the player will pop out of the page, and you cna keep it up in the background while you work online. As a song plays click on the "Guide Us" link for several playing options. It's really quite cool.

StratoCade said...

Oh this is just FABULOUS. I'm ALL OVER IT. BTW, I am sofa king posting this on my blog.