Friday, April 14, 2006

Oh My.....

It's Semana Santa (Holy Week) in Costa Rica and clearly they take it very seriously. Wednesday-Wednesday everything (I mean everything) grinds to a halt. No cars on the roads, No people anywhere, everyone goes to church and eats special food. Theres NO alcohol alowed. In fact there are armed guards in the few stores that are open that guard the licquor isles. It's a strange sensation to go from almost running over 10 people a day in the street to having your own personal avenues in a matter of days.

Holy Week has not been my friend. I have really needed to get things done this week in preparation for my trip back to the US tomorrow, and have been met with closed doors and unanswered phones all over the place.

Not to mention the holy robes they wear look like KKK uniforms.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Deutschland. We Americans barring Christmas, don't quite do holidays like they do in other places. EVERYONE takes off during Good Friday, Easter, AND Easter Monday in Germany, to the point of ridiculousness. It's great when you have family there, but if you're an expat things can be a tad... lonely... Anyone there?

Anonymous said...

Well, the irony is the KKK was started at a religious organization primarily against Catholics before it metamorphed into a more complete hate organization. I guess they liked what the Spanish did and adopted their traditional robes.

However, I'm glad I'm here because after I went to church for Good Friday I had a few cocktails just like any good Catholic would.

StratoCade said...

Yeah, it's really a shame we don't do the holy holidays up right. Even though I felt like I was in church with all the kneeling, standing, clasping of hands and bowing my head I did on Easter Sunday, it just wasn't the same.