Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Flat Tired!

We have now officially had 3 flat tires on our rental car since arriving in Costa Rica on Sunday night. Last nights was particularly great because it happened on a back-ish road with no gas stations, so we had to get out and walk down a dark street with no sidewalks until we came to a main road and gas station. The nice thing is that all gas stations here are full service. In fact they WONT let you pump your own gas, check your own oil or fix your own flat. The station attendant WALKED with us back to the car, fixed the tire and then WALKED back. He wouldn’t accept a ride, but gladly accepted the 2.00 tip.

Tipping is funny here. All tips are included in your restaurant bills and they typically equal about 1 or 2 US dollars. Most Ticos make about 300 US dollars a month, so it’s no surprise that you can get a live-in maid who will cook, clean, iron, wash clothes for 100 dollars a month. I left 5000 colones (10 dollars) on my breakfast table yesterday and the waiter about had a heart attack. Today he rolled out the red carpet when I walked in and acted as my personal man servant during my 30 minute meal.

I’m going to navigate the AutoMercado (grocery store) tonight and check out what’s available on the shelves. Honestly it looks like a Win Dixie, and has most everything Id want. Since it took me 30 minutes to boil water last night, im going to go the microwavable route this time.

Once I have my house, I can have my groceries delivered to my door. Now if that’s not Tico-Fabulous I don’t know what is.

3 comments:

Kelicious said...

Skip the grocery store and go kill your own chicken.

Anonymous said...

I want a live in maid to do my ironing and cleaning!

They taught you how to choke chicken in boarding school, right? You can impress people if you ever ride the bus.

I need to get a job in Costa Rica. I'm serious about helping as an assistant.

Mark Base said...

Wow, sounds like the place to be. Not a lot like immigrating to Sweden, I can tell you that much.