Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Montage Madness

I've been thinking a lot lately about music montage's. You know the ones from the 80's/90's movies and TV shows. Where at some opportune point in the movie a song comes out of nowhere. Typically a power ballad performed by some hair-band; it normally helps the protagonist get the desired result by providing a soundtrack to their formulaic plot struggle.

80's movies were very keen on the music montage. Top Gun was famous for them, we all "highway'd to the danger zone" ourselves over and over.. and loved every minute of it. Especially the over-the-top homoerotic volleyball game scene. Anyhow, I digress.. Movies have moved away from montages, but I think they should bring them back. Im considering leading a one man revolution to resurrect the montage... Wanna join?

I've been thinking about what song would play for my music montage if my life were a movie right now. Maybe 'Life is a Highway' by Tom Cochrine?..that's an excellent 'feel good', im moving on, the world is my oyster kinda song. I downloaded it just now to hear it and I think it's appropriate. I also wouldn't mind.. "Take it Easy" by The Eagles, "Roam" by the B52s, or "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynard Skynard. They all make me wanna get up and head outta town. Im going to have to make sure I download all these great songs before I head to the Banana Republic. I hear broadband is spotty there.

The saddest, goodbye, im movin on, movie song montage ever....... "Its time for sayin goodbye" from the highly acclaimed celluloid masterpiece, 'The Muppets Take Manhattan'......Those damn puppets kill me every time with that.

No comments: