Friday, December 19, 2008

Neckin it



I'm sure this is going to make me unpopular with the "fashionistas" but I'm going to go out on a limb here and declare the cleverly-tied-wintry-scarf an annoying fashion item. My only caveat is for those of you living in (or visiting) frigid winter temperatures, where this woven piece of fabric does actually have purpose, namely keeping your neck from freezing solid. To all the austinites (epically the ones I saw today donning scarves at the post office in 70 degree weather) who have been anxiously tooling their wardrobes for the 5 below freezing days a year we get in this town, you look ridiculous. 360 days to plot a wardrobe results in an overly-styled walking GAP billboard that looks like it's tried too hard.

3 comments:

the doc said...

Shucks!!

I'll have to rethink your Christmas gift.

Anonymous said...

I completely disagree. I love a scarf in lieu of a jacket on slightly cool days. I can tolerate a slight chill if I keep my neck warm. Granted scarves in teh 78 degree heat were ridic, but when it's 60 or below a light scarf is the perfect accessory.

GRRRR..I'm a cranky old man. I remember when we didn't have scarves, see? We wrapped a piece of burlap around our neck and loved it.

Pookie Pie said...

I must also ask for a caveat for those of us that are not in cars on our commute into work. When the weather is in the 20s and 30s at 6:30am (as it has been the past couple of days), a neck-warmer is quite nice when cycling at 20 mph through the fog.