Thursday, June 21, 2007

SGWM seeks......

OK so im 0 for 3 on the internet dating thing. I made a conscious decision a little over a month ago to put myself out there and try to meet some interesting guys for dinner, dating, etc. I put a legit personal ad on a popular social networking site in hopes of attracting someone Id find decent and interesting. I got a lot of responses and narrowed them down to three, all of which I met for some din din and convo. Like falling dominos from hell, the dates got progressively worse. The first guy wanted kids so badly that he almost insisted that I agree and start the adoption process after our dinner. When I slowed him down to a normal “back-to-earth” pace, He made it quite clear that he felt that our priorities weren’t aligned. So I left that date feeling like some sort of curmudgeonly, child hater who isn’t appropriately contributing to the progression of the human race. And here I thought everyone knew that only lesbians marry and conceive children on the first date. Guess Not.

Candidate number two was about as much fun as a trip down a slide made of razor blades into a pool of rubbing alcohol. I had to beat conversation out of him and he asked me exactly one question about myself. I think dates should be like good sex, 2-way experiences where both parties equally participate. I do a bang up job of getting to know people in very short periods of time. In my opinion there’s no better way to cut awkwardness than with a barrage of questions that keep the conversation flowing. I am amazed at people who will just sit there and let the awkward silence choke the life out of the situation. It was clear this guy was NOT a fun person, and I have put a permanent moratorium on fun vacuums.

My third date was the most promising. We had spoken on the phone several times and our personalities jived nicely. He was a little out of my typical target demo. Had very little direction in his life and a mediocre job that he didn’t seem passionate about. I tend to appreciate very career oriented, upwardly mobile types who have big lives, big jobs and present big possibilities. I really liked his personality so I gave it a shot. It was immediately apparent after a few minutes of conversation over dinner that the socio-economic differences between us would be a problem for him. He never asked what I did for a living, and continuously commented on how he’s always dated “rich” people who tried to “own” him and how terrible that was. Clearly I am not someone who try’s to date and “own” less fortunate people, but It felt strange hearing that. After our dinner, I tried to sneak back to my big Mercedes and drive off unnoticed, as I’m sure that would have just put him off even more. To his credit, he did call to thank me for the date, so I guess poor people have manners too (insert grain of salt here people).

I have no doubts that I will stumble upon the right person sooner or later. I refuse to rush it though. Every time I stop looking, it falls right into my lap. I must say though, it would be nice to spend time with someone significant again. As my life continues to pull itself up to new plateaus, im convinced that someone out there is really missing out on a lot of fun courtesy of Mr. EyeQue. I hope that doesn’t make me sound too much like a cock-a-hoop (look it up). I do think i'll take my hunt off of the internet and out into the real world now. Atleast then the crazy will be immediatly evident and I can save both parties a lot of time and trouble.


No comments: