Thursday, May 03, 2007

Another Golden Moment

I recently saw Rue Mclanahan here in In Austin at the Zach Scott theatre. She discussed her long career and gave anecdotes about her life in film, stage and TV. Having seen Bea Arthur’s one woman show a few years back, I have Betty White left to see now to complete my Golden Girls, gay, trifecta. It’s amazing how you pigeon hole actors in their most famous roles and expect them to act just like you remember them. Rue was much quieter, slower and subdued than I expected. I did not realize that she was first cast as Betty White’s character, Rose. The nit-witish lady from Minnesota. Betty White had already been chosen to play Blanche, the southern belle ‘whorish’ roomate. I think in the end it all worked out. Coming from Oklahoma, Rue was much more apt to speak convincingly in a southern accent and Betty pulled off her role as Rose effortlessly.

I heard a few people in the crowd mentioning how great that show was, and I agree. I can watch every single episode today and it doesn’t feel dated. It was the first real show that showcased a group of friends living platonically together. They tackled issues like drug use, homosexuality and religion before it was en vogue to do so. Something about those old ladies connected with a greater audience that remains the same today. Kids who weren’t even alive when the show originally aired watch faithfully now and adults like myself can’t help but to stop channel surfing when we hear that fab theme song.


2 comments:

the doc said...

I once heard, read, dreamed or made up the fact that Estelle Getty was the youngest of the "Golden Girls" actresses, or in today's terms, actors. True or false?

the doc said...

Did something on the internet. Looked up Estelle Getty and got her website and answered my own question. Somehow I knew that she was not the oldest...but she is not the youngest either. By the way this was the first question under her website's FAQ section.

Is Estelle the oldest Golden Girl?

Bea Arthur (born May 13, 1923) and Betty White (born January 17, 1922) are both older than Estelle, Rue McClanahan (born February 21, 1935) is younger. Estelle's birthday is July 25, 1923. She is 83 years old.