Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Arte De Service

To my friends in the US who appreciate the art of service, you will all be glad to know that it is still alive and well here in Central America. The grocery stores deliver to your door, McDonalds and Burger King delivers too, all at no extra charge.. No one pumps their own gas, every gas station is full service and it’s mandatory. My security guard runs to my car every time I get home to carry my things into my house. My maid washes my clothes, scrubs the floors with a sponge and even washes (and drys) my car. Restaurants serve women first from the left, and there are parking attendants in every parking lot who help guide you out of your parking spot when you leave. Store clerks promptly ask you if you need assistance and they will take your bags and carry them for you while you look around.

Tips are included in restaurant bills and its not expected that you’ll give anything extra. These people are just glad to have a job and they perform their jobs at 150%. I ate at an upper scale restaurant a week ago and our waitress was in a wheel chair. She maneuvered the place with precision, balancing drinks, plates in one hand while propelling her chair with the other. I watched her with amazement as she services 4 tables simultaneously. Her handicap was inconsequential. She spoke English and gave everyone at my table (and others) prompt attention. It was one of the best serving experiences I have ever had. I left 10,000 colones (20 bucks) as a tip. She wheeled out to the parking lot to let me know I had mistakenly left her too much money. I explained to her that it was intentional and she deserved it. …I saw a tear trickle down her face and I realized then, for the first time since being here, that my new life is all about perspective.

2 comments:

the doc said...

And, we're trying to keep these people out of our country.Go figure. Maybe it is best that they stay at home and not be ruined by the work ethic of "The Great Society"

StratoCade said...

It's amazing that they come to the US and keep that work ethic for an entire generation, but their kids tend to be the polar opposites...

Sort of like other groups.