Thursday, March 09, 2006

Professional Dilettante

I’m doing a podcast tonight with spittingtacks on Search Engine Optimization in preparation for the SXSW Interactive festival coming up next week. While preparing for it I started thinking about my career and what got me to where I am today. While SEM, SEO and other imedia expertise does require a specific knowledge and skillset, I can honestly say that my relative successes can be mostly attributed to the time and dedication I have put towards networking. You always hear the phrase “Its Who Ya Know” and most of us typically brush that off as “cutesy” or “slightly true”; Well folks I’m here to tell you it’s all true. I can’t tell you how many opportunities have come my way through professional and personal contacts. Rarely does a week go by that I don’t get a phone call or email asking if im interested in a job op or freelance oppty. I have spent years collecting business cards, attending events and keeping in touch with strategic players in the interactive space and it all seems to be paying off now.

When I was dating Mr. Man, who was afflicted with a severe case of social retardation, I witnessed him consistently struggle professionally. Graduating in the top 20% in his class in undergrad, becoming an officer in the Navy and completing his MBA from a top 10 school didn’t do ANYTHING to help him move forward professionally. He had no problems getting interviews, but it always stopped there. I knew deep down it was all due to his inability to connect with people. Having absolutely NO professional network in place and coming off as an intellectual elitist didn’t help him much either. Hmm, what did I see in that? Anyways, I always make sure I have at least 3 favors to call in at any time. This way I know, no matter what happens, I am covered professionally.
My family seems to have a very difficult time appreciating my career. I’m pretty sure it’s just because they don’t understand it. I also believe they are holding me to antiquated job standards. The days of one job, 50 years, and a gold watch are no more. Especially in the interactive industry. As the web continues to define its role in the marketplace, there’s a land-grab situation going on. You gotta get while the getting is good, and Im grabbin like a whore in Chinatown. Job tenures in my industry are around year and often even shorter than that. I know many people who bounce around to multiple jobs within a given year and they aren’t professionally damaged by it at all. In fact, it’s often to the contrary. My exposure to multiple companies has done nothing but bulk up my Rolodex, increased my professional opportunities and most importantly grown my knowledge base. My personality, and severe A.D.D are just not a good fit for a long-term permanent situation right now. I’m also not foolish enough to believe it will be this way forever. But for right now it’s suiting me just fine!

3 comments:

goblinbox said...

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a short but intense attention span, especially in work. Get in, do it, get out with everyone smiling, add another reference to your resume!

the doc said...

Changing jobs as often as you change your underwear is fine as long as you also look to the future. I mean do some planning for the unexpected: sickness, disability, retirement, etc. Cover your butt. Save a little (or a lot, if possible). If you want to be able to retire early, you are already over one half the way there.

StratoCade said...

I say get up on it, ob hop to the extent it advances your career, but don't leave simply for the sake of leaving... and I agree it IS about who you know.