Monday, March 27, 2006

A Light Bulb Moment


I realized that there is high potential that I will become crotchety when I get older. I moved hotels today..well moved to the hotel next door. It's a Wyndham, which is "nice" by most peoples standards..of course coming off a Boutique $350-a-night set-up would be a let down for about anyone (and it is). I checked in my room, while much bigger, it reminds me of a 80's conference hotel room. It just looked and smelled mass produced and the college-fridge mini bar didn't help. And now to the lights....I have a strange thing about fluorescent lights. I cant stand them. I think the person who invented it should be buried alive in a coffin lined with em. For those of us who appreciate "good light" (and there is such a thing) fluorescent lighting can create the most unflattering atmosphere possible and It also gives out headaches like candy. It reminds me of the countless hours I spent starring into them in grade school getting hypnotized by the buzzing sound.

As expected the Wyndham corporation bought into the energy conspiracy and have replaced all of their light bulbs with the "energy efficient", "longer lasting" screw in fluorescent bulbs. So you get that indicative flicker when you turn on the lights, lamps, closet lights.....everything fucking flickers. So my first mission, to call the front desk and ask for replacement, 40 to 60 watt soft white traditional bulbs. I could just hear the lady saying to herself "who the hell is this obsessive/compulsive idiot?"but i pushed through with my request. It was, of course, a no go. So I put on my coat and walked 8 blocks to the CVS pharmacy and bought some good ol GE soft white 40 watts, and my room is now a better place.

You certainly get what you pay for in this world. My most memorable hotel stay was at The Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong. They not only ask you what type of light you'd like in your room, they ask you what thread count and fabric make you'd like your sheets in, what temperature you'd like your room to be upon arrival, what kind of water you prefer and if it needs to be chilled or at room temperature. There is a 3/1 guest to concierge ratio at that hotel and each floor has it's own butler service on call 24 hours a day. Nothings out of reach there.. In-room chef prepared dinner, private blackjack games, rooftop helicopter rides into the city, one armed Asian hookers with tourettes syndrome... no problem..

It's beyond fabulous with a beyond fabulous price tag to go along with it....but worth every single HKD.

3 comments:

StratoCade said...

I cannot believe you actually asked for regular bulbs. I love it. The Mandarin was where my father would stay when visiting me in Hong Kong. My poor student self would milk that for all it was worth... Minibar, fabulous breakfasts, Chinese New Year party for my friends in the Meiji suite. God I miss those days. Now I'm just happy if I can get on the executive floor at the damned Hilton.

Anonymous said...

I think too much business travel is getting to you. Come "home"!

goblinbox said...

I loathe fluorescents. *shudder* Especially if you're trapped in a room with one whose ballast has gone, then it's like being in a disco without the benefit of music, sweat, and cocktails.