Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A Community of Dunces


I just sat through the most agonizing meeting here at work. I witnessed 6 adults sit in a room for 2.5 hours and make a decision that should have taken 30 minutes to make at the very most. I am consistently amazed at the blatant lack of business acumen in this company and even more surprised to see it come from the CEO, Exec. VP. and CTO. How they ever made a dollar is beyond me.

The knowledge gap here is not confined to new ideas/technology; it also covers the basic business principals that all business owners/managers should know and understand. I actually have more faith in the motley crew that runs the back-end technology side of this company than the A-Level executives I work with.

As usual, I offer solutions. I start my new gig on March 15th and obviously that’s not soon enough. Not to worry though, I hosted my own question and answer session with the management team during my interviewing process. I know for a fact these people make sound business decisions in an efficient manner. I know I wont witness the CEO actually using the word “aint” and flashing his forearm tattoo for the world to see.

Entrepreneurial, start-upy companies are always full of colorful characters. Hell, I’m probably colorful to other people here. But I think this is my swan song though. No more ping-pong tables that double as a conference room, 3:00 Beer Fridays, iTunes servers, dartboards, breakfast tacos or company sponsored massages. It’s back to work.

With bigger paychecks comes real accountability and I’m ready for both!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. You're moving quick Mr. IQ. I guess I'll plan that surf vacation sooner than I thought.

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. how soon they forget. You got your training for that meeting here in Boca .. :)